This week’s podcast is on Airbnb and what I think people are getting wrong about its business model and future in Asia. Which has some effect on how you would value it going forward.
The valuation presentation by NYU Professor Damodaran is here.
The mentioned factors for Airbnb were:
- Market size and / or growth
- Competitive dynamics and strengths
- Industry and unit economics
Related podcasts and articles:
Concepts for this class.
- Digital Platforms: Marketplaces for Products and Services. This is on the right side of the pyramid below.
- Bundling and Cross-Selling. These are under soft advanges below (light green).
- Network Effects. This is under competitive advantage below (dark green).
Companies for this class:
- #16: Basics of Ctrip, Meituan and Other Marketplace Platforms for Services
I write and speak about digital competition and China / Asia’s leading tech companies.
My book Moats and Marathons details how to measure competitive advantage in digital businesses.
I also run Asia Tech Strategy, a podcast and subscription newsletter on the strategies of China / Asia tech companies.
My subscription newsletter offers:
Deeper insights into the strategies of the tech giants of China / Asia. I help investors see around the corner – both with tech giants and rising companies.
See the big picture. Get a better understanding of Asia’s digital ecosystem. What are the important tech themes? What will the future look like? Where to hunt for opportunities?
A unique view from on the ground of digital China / Asia.
Note: This content (articles, podcasts, website info) is not investment advice. The information and opinions from me and any guests may be incorrect. The numbers and information may be wrong. The views expressed may no longer be relevant or accurate. Investing is risky. Do your own research.