In this class, I go through some of the basics of Grab, GoJek and Lazada. And the different approaches for capturing local services in SE Asia.
Which are the most important 1-2 factors for the competition in SE Asia services?
- Consumer engagement and experience. Capturing a share of the consumer mind.
- Merchant engagement and experience. Being strong with service providers.
- Platform business models and their advantages (subsidized pricing, growing interactions, data, etc.)
- Network effects.
- Management execution and access to capital.
Related podcasts and articles:
- Meituan vs. Ctrip vs. Alibaba: Who Will Win in China Services? (Jeff’s Asia Tech Class – Podcast 22)
- How Can Meituan Compete with Alibaba? And Prepare for Next Gen Services Marketplaces? (Jeff’s Asia Tech Class – Podcast 27)
- #16: Basics of Ctrip, Meituan and Marketplace Platforms for Services
Concepts for this class:
- Platforms: Marketplaces for Services
- Network Effects
Companies for this class:
I write and speak about digital China and Asia’s latest tech trends.
I also teach Jeff’s Asia Tech Class, an online course and daily commentary for busy executives on Asia tech and China’s digital leaders.