In this class, I go through some of the basics of Grab, GoJek and Lazada. And the different approaches for capturing local services in SE Asia.
Which are the most important 1-2 factors for the competition in SE Asia services?
- Consumer engagement and experience. Capturing a share of the consumer mind.
- Merchant engagement and experience. Being strong with service providers.
- Platform business models and their advantages (subsidized pricing, growing interactions, data, etc.)
- Network effects.
- Management execution and access to capital.
Related podcasts and articles:
- Meituan vs. Ctrip vs. Alibaba: Who Will Win in China Services? (Jeff’s Asia Tech Class – Podcast 22)
- How Can Meituan Compete with Alibaba? And Prepare for Next Gen Services Marketplaces? (Jeff’s Asia Tech Class – Podcast 27)
- #16: Basics of Ctrip, Meituan and Marketplace Platforms for Services
Concepts for this class:
- Platforms: Marketplaces for Services
- Network Effects
Companies for this class:
I write, speak and consult about digital strategy and transformation.
My book Moats and Marathons details how to measure competitive advantage in digital businesses.
I also host Tech Strategy, a podcast and subscription newsletter on the strategies of the best digital companies in the US, China and Asia.