This is Part 1 about Pinduoduo and the idea of interactive / engagement-driven ecommerce. Our guests for this podcast were Matthew Brennan and Elliott Zaagman.
Elliott Zaagman is co-host the China Tech Investor podcast and a research and communications professional focused on China.
Matthew Brennan is Managing Director of the China Channel.
The 5 choices for explaining Pinduoduo’s success are:
- First mover in a huge market. Got the right product at the right time in the right market.
- Offered low cost (sometimes free) products to a frugal demographic.
- Interactive / engagement-focused ecommerce.
- Group buying and virality. The tie with WeChat.
- Good execution and management.
Related podcasts and articles:
- What is the Secret of Pinduoduo’s Success? (2 of 2) (Asia Tech Strategy – Podcast 46)
- Companies Can Have Digital Superpowers: Lazada vs. Grab. Luckin vs. Hellobike. (Jeff’s Asia Tech Class – Podcast 37)
- What Is the Secret of Zoom’s Success in Video Communications? (Jeff’s Asia Tech Class – Podcast 21)
- Value for Money. The Power of Cheap and Free. Example of Digital Superpower #1: Dramatically improving the user experience.
- Interactive / Engagement-Focused Ecommerce
- Virality and Word of Mouth
Companies for this class:
I write and speak about digital China and Asia’s latest tech trends.
I also run Asia Tech Strategy, a podcast and subscription newsletter on the strategies of China / Asia tech companies.
My subscription newsletter offers:
Deeper insights into the strategies of the tech giants of China / Asia. I help investors see around the corner – both with tech giants and rising companies.
See the big picture. Get a better understanding of Asia’s digital ecosystem. What are the important tech themes? What will the future look like? Where to hunt for opportunities?
A unique view from on the ground of digital China / Asia.
Note: This content (articles, podcasts, website info) is not investment advice. The information and opinions from me and any guests may be incorrect. The numbers and information may be wrong. The views expressed may no longer be relevant or accurate. Investing is risky. Do your own research.