This is Part 2 about Pinduoduo and the idea of interactive / engagement-driven ecommerce.
In Part 1, I discussed a recent whitepaper with its authors Elliott Zaagman (co-host the China Tech Investor podcast and a research and communications professional focused on China) and Matthew Brennan (Managing Director of the China Channel.)
The 5 choices for explaining Pinduoduo’s success are:
- First mover in a huge market. Got the right product at the right time in the right market.
- Offered low cost (sometimes free) products to a frugal demographic.
- Interactive / engagement-focused ecommerce.
- Group buying and virality. The tie with WeChat.
- Good execution and management.
Related podcasts and articles:
- #31: Introduction to Pinduoduo
Concepts for this class. The slides discussed in the podcast are located below and correspond to the 4 ideas below.
- Value for Money. The Power of Cheap and Free. Example of Digital Superpower #1: Dramatically improving the user experience.
- Interactive / Engagement-Focused Ecommerce
- Virality and Word of Mouth
- External View and Base Rates
Companies for this class:
I write and speak about digital China and Asia’s latest tech trends.
I also run Jeff’s Asia Tech Class, a podcast and subscription newsletter on the strategies of China / Asia tech companies.
My subscription newsletter offers:
Deeper insights into the strategies of the tech giants of China / Asia. I help investors see around the corner – both with tech giants and rising companies.
See the big picture. Get a better understanding of Asia’s digital ecosystem. What are the important tech themes? What will the future look like? Where to hunt for opportunities?
A unique view from on the ground of digital China / Asia.
Note: This content (articles, podcasts, website info) is not investment advice. The information and opinions from me and any guests may be incorrect. The numbers and information may be wrong. The views expressed may no longer be relevant or accurate. Investing is risky. Do your own research.