This is Part 2 about Pinduoduo and the idea of interactive / engagement-driven ecommerce.
In Part 1, I discussed a recent whitepaper with its authors Elliott Zaagman (co-host the China Tech Investor podcast and a research and communications professional focused on China) and Matthew Brennan (Managing Director of the China Channel.)
The 5 choices for explaining Pinduoduo’s success are:
- First mover in a huge market. Got the right product at the right time in the right market.
- Offered low cost (sometimes free) products to a frugal demographic.
- Interactive / engagement-focused ecommerce.
- Group buying and virality. The tie with WeChat.
- Good execution and management.
Related podcasts and articles:
- #31: Introduction to Pinduoduo
Concepts for this class. The slides discussed in the podcast are located below and correspond to the 4 ideas below.
- Value for Money. The Power of Cheap and Free. Example of Digital Superpower #1: Dramatically improving the user experience.
- Interactive / Engagement-Focused Ecommerce
- Virality and Word of Mouth
- External View and Base Rates
Companies for this class:
I write and speak about digital China and Asia’s latest tech trends.
I also teach Jeff’s Asia Tech Class, an online course and daily commentary for busy executives on Asia tech and China’s digital leaders.
- My online class offers:
- Deeper insights into workings of the tech giants of China and Asia.
- Executive training in the strategies and tactics of advanced digital strategy.
- A unique view from the ground – and behind the scenes – of digital China.
- And the class is condensed to just 70 minutes a week – so even very busy executives can do it.