In this class, I talk about how online retailers like JD and marketplace platforms like Alibaba compete on different dimensions.
Alibaba and marketplace platforms compete on:
- Cost and / or difficulty of entry – including the chicken-and-egg problem and the cost of the logistics network.
- Competitive advantages – including network effects (main one) and economies of scale in logistics, marketing and IT.
Early JD and online retailers compete on:
- Cost and / or difficulty of entry – including the cost of the logistics network.
- Competitive advantages – including supply cost advantages and economies of scale in logistics (mostly), marketing and IT
- #5 the Basics of JD
Concepts for this class:
- Digital-Physical Hybrids
- Competitive Advantage: Economies of Scale
- Competitive Advantage: Network Effects
- Digital Platforms: Marketplaces
- Cost and Difficulty of Entry
- Linked Businesses
Companies for this class:
I write and speak about digital China and Asia’s latest tech trends.
I also teach Jeff’s Asia Tech Class, an online course and daily commentary for busy executives on Asia tech and China’s digital leaders.
- My online class offers:
- Deeper insights into workings of the tech giants of China and Asia.
- Executive training in the strategies and tactics of advanced digital strategy.
- A unique view from the ground – and behind the scenes – of digital China.
- And the class is condensed to just 70 minutes a week – so even very busy executives can do it.