In this class, I talk about how online retailers like JD and marketplace platforms like Alibaba compete on different dimensions.
Alibaba and marketplace platforms compete on:
- Cost and / or difficulty of entry – including the chicken-and-egg problem and the cost of the logistics network.
- Competitive advantages – including network effects (main one) and economies of scale in logistics, marketing and IT.
Early JD and online retailers compete on:
- Cost and / or difficulty of entry – including the cost of the logistics network.
- Competitive advantages – including supply cost advantages and economies of scale in logistics (mostly), marketing and IT
- #5 the Basics of JD
Concepts for this class:
- Digital-Physical Hybrids
- Competitive Advantage: Economies of Scale
- Competitive Advantage: Network Effects
- Digital Platforms: Marketplaces
- Cost and Difficulty of Entry
- Linked Businesses
Companies for this class:
I write and speak about digital China and Asia’s latest tech trends.
I also run Jeff’s Asia Tech Class, a podcast and subscription newsletter on the strategies of China / Asia tech companies.
My subscription newsletter offers:
Deeper insights into the strategies of the tech giants of China / Asia. I help investors see around the corner – both with tech giants and rising companies.
See the big picture. Get a better understanding of Asia’s digital ecosystem. What are the important tech themes? What will the future look like? Where to hunt for opportunities?
A unique view from on the ground of digital China / Asia.
Note: This content (articles, podcasts, website info) is not investment advice. The information and opinions from me and any guests may be incorrect. The numbers and information may be wrong. The views expressed may no longer be relevant or accurate. Investing is risky. Do your own research.