In this class, we discuss Vipshop and JD. And how a smaller ecommerce site can compete with larger players, especially in the area of logistics.
The exercise for this class is:
Which of these three options make sense for Vipshop in logistics?
1) Copy JD: Build an in-house logistics and delivery network.
2) Copy Alibaba: Work with multiple partners (in logistics and/or ecommerce).
3) Outsource logistics: Find a partner or contractor for this. Just be an ecommerce site.
Now, make a decision: What would you recommend to the CEO?
- Write 3 paragraphs with your answer. Do it on your smartphone. Or a PC. Or a piece of paper (take a picture and save it).
- Think about versioning and competitive advantage.
Articles cited in this class:
- #4: The basics of VIPShop and JD – and more digital economics
Concepts for this class:
- Digital and Information Economics
- Competitive Advantage
- Digital-Physical Hybrids
Companies for this class:
I write and speak about digital China and Asia’s latest tech trends.
I also run Jeff’s Asia Tech Class, a podcast and subscription newsletter on the strategies of China / Asia tech companies.
My subscription newsletter offers:
Deeper insights into the strategies of the tech giants of China / Asia. I help investors see around the corner – both with tech giants and rising companies.
See the big picture. Get a better understanding of Asia’s digital ecosystem. What are the important tech themes? What will the future look like? Where to hunt for opportunities?
A unique view from on the ground of digital China / Asia.
Note: This content (articles, podcasts, website info) is not investment advice. The information and opinions from me and any guests may be incorrect. The numbers and information may be wrong. The views expressed may no longer be relevant or accurate. Investing is risky. Do your own research.