In this class, we discuss Vipshop and JD. And how a smaller ecommerce site can compete with larger players, especially in the area of logistics.
The exercise for this class is:
Which of these three options make sense for Vipshop in logistics?
1) Copy JD: Build an in-house logistics and delivery network.
2) Copy Alibaba: Work with multiple partners (in logistics and/or ecommerce).
3) Outsource logistics: Find a partner or contractor for this. Just be an ecommerce site.
Now, make a decision: What would you recommend to the CEO?
- Write 3 paragraphs with your answer. Do it on your smartphone. Or a PC. Or a piece of paper (take a picture and save it).
- Think about versioning and competitive advantage.
Articles cited in this class:
- #4: The basics of VIPShop and JD – and more digital economics
Concepts for this class:
- Digital and Information Economics
- Competitive Advantage
- Digital-Physical Hybrids
Companies for this class:
I write, speak and consult about digital strategy and transformation.
My book Moats and Marathons details how to measure competitive advantage in digital businesses.
I also host Tech Strategy, a podcast and subscription newsletter on the strategies of the best digital companies in the US, China and Asia.
With my subscription newsletter, you will:
Get a deeper understanding of the strategies and business models of the best digital companies.
Get specific frameworks for measuring competitive advantage in digital businesses and for traditional businesses doing digital transformation.
Get an edge in predicting what is going to happen next and who is going to win.
Note: This content (articles, podcasts, website info) is not investment advice. The information and opinions from me and any guests may be incorrect. The numbers and information may be wrong. The views expressed may no longer be relevant or accurate. Investing is risky. Do your own research.