In this class, we discuss Vipshop and JD. And how a smaller ecommerce site can compete with larger players, especially in the area of logistics.
You can listen here or at iTunes here.
The exercise for this class is:
Which of these three options make sense for Vipshop in logistics?
1) Copy JD: Build an in-house logistics and delivery network.
2) Copy Alibaba: Work with multiple partners (in logistics and/or ecommerce).
3) Outsource logistics: Find a partner or contractor for this. Just be an ecommerce site.
Now, make a decision: What would you recommend to the CEO?
- Write 3 paragraphs with your answer. Do it on your smartphone. Or a PC. Or a piece of paper (take a picture and save it).
- Think about versioning and competitive advantage.
Articles cited in this class:
Concepts for this class:
- Digital and Information Economics
- Competitive Advantage
- Digital-Physical Hybrids
Companies for this class:
I write and speak about digital China and Asia’s latest tech trends.
- This online class offers:
- A weekly lecture you can listen to as a podcast at the gym or in the car or wherever.
- A weekly article with more in-depth material.
- 2-3 weekly updates on what’s happening digital China / Asia.
- This class requires only 90 minutes per week which can be done mostly via a podcast available at iTunes and Himalaya (soon).