In this class, we discuss Vipshop and JD. And how a smaller ecommerce site can compete with larger players, especially in the area of logistics.
The exercise for this class is:
Which of these three options make sense for Vipshop in logistics?
1) Copy JD: Build an in-house logistics and delivery network.
2) Copy Alibaba: Work with multiple partners (in logistics and/or ecommerce).
3) Outsource logistics: Find a partner or contractor for this. Just be an ecommerce site.
Now, make a decision: What would you recommend to the CEO?
- Write 3 paragraphs with your answer. Do it on your smartphone. Or a PC. Or a piece of paper (take a picture and save it).
- Think about versioning and competitive advantage.
Articles cited in this class:
- #4: The basics of VIPShop and JD – and more digital economics
Concepts for this class:
- Digital and Information Economics
- Competitive Advantage
- Digital-Physical Hybrids
Companies for this class:
I write and speak about digital China and Asia’s latest tech trends.
I also teach Jeff’s Asia Tech Class, an online course and daily commentary for busy executives on Asia tech and China’s digital leaders.
- My online class offers:
- Deeper insights into workings of the tech giants of China and Asia.
- Executive training in the strategies and tactics of advanced digital strategy.
- A unique view from the ground – and behind the scenes – of digital China.
- And the class is condensed to just 70 minutes a week – so even very busy executives can do it.