Zhaopin.com CEO Evan Guo has a fascinating view of China’s evolving internet ecosystem. He heads the leading online recruiting business in China (+140M active users). So he is riding the top of a very big wave.
But Zhaopin is not part of Baidu, Alibaba, or Tencent. It is living in the spaces between these digital giants. To survive and thrive in this situation means adapting and moving quickly. I thought Evan had a fascinating take on what it takes to win in the Chinese Internet.
My co-professor Jonathan Woetzel (McKinsey & Co) and I were fortunate to have Evan as a guest lecturer in our course at Peking University Guanghua School of Management. And before class, I sat down with him and asked him my standard five questions:
- What is the most important thing happening in online recruiting right now?
- What is the most important thing happening at Zhaopin right now?
- What is the biggest difference between Internet businesses in China and the West?
- What is everyone getting wrong about Internet businesses in China?
- What happens next? What is coming in 2-3 years?
Evan’s answers are shown in the video below (link here. Sorry only YouTube). He also gave a one hour lecture to our students – and I will post that entire lecture shortly.
Thanks for watching.
I write and speak about the fight for Chinese consumers and digital China.