Alex Zhang was one of the first five employees at Alibaba Pictures (launched in 2015), He sits at the intersection of rapidly rising Chinese entertainment, its changing relationship with Hollywood and its increasing collision with the tech world (Alibaba, Tencent, etc.). Note: I wrote about how Alibaba is disrupting entertainment here.
Alex has recently left Alibaba Pictures and has launched his own film production company. I sat down with him at Peking University and asked him my standard five questions:
- What is the most important thing going on in entertainment right now?
- What is the biggest difference between entertainment in China and Hollywood?
- What is everyone getting wrong about entertainment in China?
- What happens next? What should is coming in 2-3 years?
- What is your favorite book, beer or beach?
His answers were fascinating and are shown in the video below (link here. Sorry only YouTube). He also gave an hour lecture to my students and I will post that entire lecture shortly.
Thanks for watching.
I write and speak about the fight for Chinese consumers and digital China.