Thanks for visiting my page.
I am a private equity investor and consultant, a keynote speaker, a Peking University professor, and author. My writing and speaking are on:
- “How rising Chinese consumers and competitors are disrupting global markets.” #consumerchina
- “China 2025″ – what a region transformed by Chinese consumers, companies and capital will look like. You can find the details of my China 2025 keynotes in the Keynotes tab. #China2025
My latest books are the One Hour China Book and the One Hour China Consumer Book. Both were (are) Amazon best-sellers. You can download free chapters by signing up on the right. I am currently writing a new book on the investment strategies of Prince Alwaleed (my old boss).
My investment and consulting is in healthcare and consumer products. These are primarily in the US and China / Asia but also occasionally in the Middle East / North Africa.
I was previously Head of Direct Investments for Middle East North Africa and Asia Pacific for Prince Waleed, nicknamed by Time magazine the “Arabian Warren Buffett” and arguably the world’s first private global investor.
I live in Beijing and New York and am a dedicated caffeine addict.
My long bio is below. Cheers, Jeff
My Formal Bio – Work
Jeff is an investor and consultant with 20 years of experience across the US, China and the Middle East. He has developed over $25B of projects in real estate, hotels, banks / financial services, insurance, healthcare, consumer products, retail, technology, petrochemicals, and energy / infrastructure.
He is currently Managing Partner of Towson Capital, a niche investment and consulting firm focused on healthcare and consumer-facing businesses in the US and Asia.. (www.towsongroup.com).
Previously, Jeff was Head of Direct Investments for Middle East North Africa and Asia Pacific for Prince Alwaleed, nicknamed the “Prince of deals” and the “Arabian Warren Buffett”
- Prince Alwaleed is arguably the world’s first private global investor and his distinctions include: the world’s 4th richest person (2004, Forbes), the largest foreign investor in the USA, the largest shareholder of the world’s largest bank (Citigroup, 2007), the world’s second largest media owner and the leading Middle Eastern business person (Arabian Business).
- From Riyadh, Kingdom Holding Company develops and manages investments in over +130 countries – including 5% of Citigroup, +300 hotels (Movenpick, Fairmont, The Plaza, George V, the Savoy), Bank of China, EuroDisney, Canary Wharf, News Corp, Saks Fifth Avenue, TimeWarner, the Four Seasons Hotels (through leveraged buy-out with Bill Gates), multiple Africa projects (private equity funds), and over 80M square meters of land developments in Saudi Arabia (approximately the size of Manhattan).
- Between 2000 and 2009, Jeff was one of five core investment staff at Prince Alwaleed’s Riyadh headquarters (Kingdom Holding Company).
Prior, Jeff was CEO of Kingdom Hospital in Riyadh. And prior to that, a management consultant (Senior Associate) at Booz-Allen & Hamilton in New York City where he focused on financial services and healthcare. He was also a member of the Board of Trustees of the American Medical Association and the American Medical Association Foundation.
Jeff is a Professor of Investment at Peking University’s Guanghua School of Management in Beijing where he teaches private equity, investment strategy and special China topics.
He is a past Fellow in Finance at the Cambridge University Judge School of Business and has taught at the China Europe International Business School in Shanghai.
Speaking engagements have included McKinsey & Co. conferences, Financial Times conferences, Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School, London Business School, NYU Stern Business School, Fudan School of Management and many others.
Jeff’s first book What Would Ben Graham Do Now: A New Value Investing Playbook for a Global Age (FT Press, 2011) focused on investment strategies for the increasing collision of the West and the emerging markets. It was a best-seller on Amazon (#1 in Business & Investing), USA TODAY Money (#3) and Inc. Magazine (#2).
His second book The One Hour China Book: Two Peking University Professors Explain All of China Business in Six Short Stories (2014) is a “speed read” on China’s economic trends. It was co-authored by Jonathan Woetzel of McKinsey & Company and has been on the Amazon China bestseller list for over two years.(www.onehourchina.com)
His third book The One Hour China Consumer Book: Five Short Stories That Explain the Brutal Fight for One Billion Consumers (2015) is follow-up speed read on Chinese consumers. It was co-authored with Jonathan Woetzel and was an Amazon bestseller.
Jeff received an MBA from Columbia Business School, an MD from the Stanford University School of Medicine, a BA in Physics from Pomona College and a Fulbright Scholarship in Biophysics from the Karolinska Institute for Biomedical Science in Stockholm, Sweden.
He speaks Mandarin and Spanish and lives (mostly) in Beijing.