Thanks for visiting my page. Below is my short and too long bio. Cheers, jeff
Jeff is a private equity investor, Peking University professor, best-selling author and speaker. His writing and speaking are on Chinese consumers and digital China.
According to LinkedIn, he is the #1 followed professor in China (+2.8M followers). He is the #1 LinkedIn Top Voice for Finance globally (2017). He was also one of Alibaba’s 15 “Global Influencers” for 2017.
He is an frequent speaker at companies, conferences and universities around the world. He has been seen on CGTN, CBS News, ABC and other programs. Areas of writing / speaking include:
- E-commerce / new retail – including Alibaba, JD, Pinduoduo, Xiaohongshu and others. And how this impacts consumer products and retail in China – including Starbucks, Walmart, Gome, Suning, McDonalds, Luckin and Yum!.
- Mobililty / transportation / autonomous vehicles – Mobike, Ofo, Didi, BYD and others. And how this impacts traditional industry.
- China’s digital natives – including Tencent, Baidu, Toutiao, Meituan and others.
- Healthcare – including PingAn, Fosun, and Cigna.
- Financial services – including Ant Financial and others.
His investment / advisory work is in healthcare, primarily in the US and China / Asia. Jeff was previously Head of Direct Investments for Middle East North Africa and Asia Pacific for Prince Alwaleed, nicknamed by Time magazine the “Arabian Warren Buffett”.
His latest books are the One Hour China Book, the One Hour China Contrarian Book and the One Hour China Consumer Book. All were (are) Amazon best-sellers.
Jeff lives in Beijing and Las Vegas.
—-Long Form Bio Below—–
Jeff is an investor and advisor with 20 years of experience across the US, China and the Middle East. He has developed projects in real estate, hotels, banks / financial services, insurance, healthcare, consumer products, retail, technology, petrochemicals, and energy / infrastructure.
He is currently Managing Partner of Towson Capital, a niche investment and advisory firm focused on healthcare in the US and Asia. (www.towsongroup.com). Previously, Jeff was Head of Direct Investments for Middle East North Africa and Asia Pacific for Prince Alwaleed, nicknamed the “Prince of deals” and the “Arabian Warren Buffett”
- Prince Alwaleed is arguably the world’s first private global investor and his distinctions include: the world’s 4th richest person (2004, Forbes), the largest foreign investor in the USA, the largest shareholder of the world’s largest bank (Citigroup, 2007), the world’s second largest media owner and the leading Middle Eastern business person (Arabian Business).
- From Riyadh, Kingdom Holding Company develops and manages investments in over +130 countries – including 5% of Citigroup, +300 hotels (Movenpick, Fairmont, The Plaza, George V, the Savoy), Bank of China, EuroDisney, Canary Wharf, News Corp, Saks Fifth Avenue, TimeWarner, the Four Seasons Hotels (through leveraged buy-out with Bill Gates), multiple Africa projects (private equity funds), and over 80M square meters of land developments in Saudi Arabia (approximately the size of Manhattan).
- Between 2000 and 2009, Jeff was one of the core investment / advisory staff at Prince Alwaleed’s Riyadh headquarters (Kingdom Holding Company).
Prior, Jeff was CEO of Kingdom Hospital in Riyadh. And prior to that, a management consultant (Senior Associate) at Booz-Allen & Hamilton in New York City where he focused on financial services and healthcare. He was also a member of the Board of Trustees of the American Medical Association and the American Medical Association Foundation.
Teaching and Research
Jeff is a Professor of Investment at Peking University’s Guanghua School of Management in Beijing where he teaches private equity, investment strategy, valuation and China strategy. He is a past Fellow in Finance at the Cambridge University Judge School of Business and has taught at the China Europe International Business School in Shanghai.
Jeff’s writing and speaking are on Chinese consumers and digital China. His key sectors are:
- Internet / technology – including Alibaba, JD, Mobike, Ofo, Toutiao, and Didi.
- Consumer products and retail – including Starbucks, Walmart, Gome, Suning, McDonalds and Yum.
- Healthcare – including PingAn, Fosun, and Cigna.
According to LinkedIn, he is the #1 followed professor in China (+2.5M followers). He was a LinkedIn Top Voice for 2016 and the #1 Top Voice for Finance globally for 2017. He was also one of Alibaba’s 15 “Global Influencers” in 2017.
Speaking engagements have included Citic Securities Investor conferences, McKinsey & Co. conferences, Financial Times conferences, Columbia Business School, and many others. He is frequently seen on CGTN, CBS News, ABC and other programs.
Jeff’s first book What Would Ben Graham Do Now: A New Value Investing Playbook for a Global Age (FT Press, 2011) focused on investment strategies for the increasing collision of the West and the emerging markets. It was a best-seller on Amazon (#1 in Business & Investing), USA TODAY Money (#3) and Inc. Magazine (#2).
His second book The One Hour China Book: Two Peking University Professors Explain All of China Business in Six Short Stories (2014) is a “speed read” on China’s economic trends. It was co-authored by Jonathan Woetzel of McKinsey & Company and has been on the Amazon China bestseller list for over four years.
His third book The One Hour China Consumer Book: Five Short Stories That Explain the Brutal Fight for One Billion Consumers (2015) is follow-up speed read on Chinese consumers. It was co-authored with Jonathan Woetzel and was an Amazon bestseller.
Jeff received an MBA from Columbia Business School, an MD from the Stanford University School of Medicine, a BA in Physics from Pomona College and a Fulbright Scholarship in Biophysics from the Karolinska Institute for Biomedical Science in Stockholm, Sweden.
He speaks Mandarin and Spanish and lives in China and the US.
(Jeff Towson, Jeffery Towson)