It has been an amazing month. Lots of big developments in US-China business. And, in a crazy bit of luck, I ended up talking with Warren Buffett for a couple of hours over lunch – which I have written up in the articles below.
– Articles –
Online-to-offline in Chinese retail is a big deal. I think supermarkets are going to be a really interesting part of this.
China’s “ghost cities” were mostly a media creation (a catchy term + cool photos). Urbanization continues. Wait 5 years. Most were really just “too early to market” cities.
Chinese express delivery is as attractive a macro-story as I know of anywhere in the world.
Whenever I think of Chinese millennials, i think of this Nike ad. I really like the spirit of it.
– Books and Reports –
By McKinsey & Co.. I re-read this book every year or two. I really like how clean the logic is in each section. Great, clear thinking.
No Ordinary Disruption
By Jonathan Woetzel, my sometimes co-author and co-professor. Just a ton of great detail on four big global trends (aging, tech, connectivity, urbanization).
– My Recent Articles –
This is actually a 4 part article that details the whole trip, the Berkshire companies we visited and Warren’s Q&A and lunch with us. Sort of long. The below is a shorter article on this.
For example, I didn’t know he has a gold McDonalds card that gets him free lunch for life.
#3 is that President Trump will discover Chinese consumers are listening very closely to him.
– A Final Funny One –
His homemade copter can go 200mph..
My writing and speaking are on:
- How rising Chinese consumers and companies are disrupting global markets. #consumerchina
- “China 2025″ – what a region transformed by Chinese consumers, companies and capital is going to look like. #China2025
If you would like to read my posts, please click ‘Follow’. Previous posts include:
- I Took 20 Chinese Students to Meet Warren Buffett. Here’s What Happened.
- How I got 300,000 LinkedIn Followers in 18 months
- Stop Calling Me an Introvert. I Prefer “Power Thinker”
- How I Went From NYC to Working for Prince Alwaleed
- My Favorite Map for Understanding China
About: I am a Professor of Investment at Peking University Guanghua School of Management in Beijing. I am also an investor, consultant and former executive / slave to Prince Alwaleed.
Photo by ® Ryan_xm, Creative Commons license with link here.